Well, it's been almost a whole week since my last post, so I figured I owe it to my (growing) audience to continue to chronicle the life & times of me...
Let's see, as y'all know, I left for Portland after Tyson's game on Saturday (which they lost by a touchdown & an extra point, bringing our boys their first loss & making their record 5-1 now. Coach & I both agree that one loss is good for character, but that we can't get any more...). I didn't get up there until 6:30, then managed to be in the wrong lane at a critical point in the directions once I got into town & was completely lost! I finally did the female thing & asked for directions, arriving at Sarah's mom's place at 7pm. Sarah came running out to greet me, with Isabella in her arms. Isabella is just over a year old now & kept saying my name over & over. I thought it was really sweet that Sarah had taught her to say it. Ethan just turned four & remembered me from my visit last summer. These are some cute kids! They're also very smart! Everyone was surprised at how quickly Isabella took to me, which made me feel super special, of course!
The plan was to go to the Tavern around the corner & hang out. I told Sarah that if I could only see her one night in a year, I planned to stay up & hang out all night! Well...we had a few drinks & I'm just not the partier I used to be. I was puking by 12:30. So much for my all-nighter! Sarah, of course, was busy taking pictures of me the whole time! I finally passsed out & was woken up by Isabella the next morning. She was sitting up in the dark babbling and playing. She came over & crawled into bed with me & showed me her "bracelet" (a jar ring). It's a good thing she woke me up, because Sarah had forgotten to set her alarm for the walk!
I got up & was getting ready, and Sarah told me that no one would think any less of me if I didn't go to the walk, so I didn't go. Hah! Gotcha! I just smiled & said that I knew that, while thinking to myself that I wasn't doing this for anyone else but Shannon. I got to the World Trade Center (on time!), where the walk began & got registered & had some coffee. I just kinda sat there by myself until the speakers did their announcements & we began the walk. I felt a little silly, but I picked up a sign to carry around advertising a website for suicide prevention. A young woman & her mom struck up a conversation with me & asked me who I was walking in memory of, so I told them my story & they shared theirs with me. This girl had lost her dad & a close friend within 3 weeks of eachother. Her mom explained that this was her ex-husband and she'd lost a lot of friends over the fact that they didn't feel like she should be mourning him...What is that all about? What struck me the most, I think, is that this girl had tears in her eyes & had a hard time keeping it together when she told me about her dad & friend, yet it had been three years. I guess it never goes away altogether, does it? Anyway, the walk was over before we knew it, and when we came back, we all got to light a candle in memory of the loved ones we'd lost to suicide & I lit mine & sent up a "Happy Birthday!" to Shannon. After that, I went back & visited with Sarah & her mom & brother some more before I had to come home to get Tyson & start our week.
I would go into how the week's been, but I'll save it for my next post, since this one turned out so dang long...I do want to give a shout out to my dear ol' dad, whose birthday is today! Love you, Dad! Also, happy belated birthday to my beautiful neice, Careyanna (15), my dear friend, Denise (we won't go there), one of my three favorite brothers, Joe (the big 4-0! Impossible!), and to Randy, my bro-in-law that I just wrote about last week & who happens to share Shannon's birthday! One more birthday coming up....Yep, you, Laura! Happy Halloween, ya witch! Love you!
12 comments:
You have to remember to eat first. You can't just go out and start pounding them down..LOL
Nice to see someone with the dedication to complete the walk with a hangover. That must have been a real test of will. How long was the walk? 5k? 10k?
Keep smiling:)
It sounds like an awesome weekend! I can't believe you went out drinking the night before the big walk...you must think you're still 29 or something. Oh yeah, you are! lol. What an incredible experience that walk and chat must have been. I'm glad it was happening while you were there.
I didn't even get a chance to wish Dad a happy birthday, and also missed Joe's, Chris', and all the other October birthdays! We almost missed Randy's and didn't really do anything for it since we couldn't take him anywhere (too exhausting for him still), but we cooked up a lot of food and I got him a cake that was split into 4 sections of different kinds of cake (one that they had that would have been perfect for me had 4 kinds of chocolate cakes, like "chocolate truffle, oreo, etc.). The one I got him only had one kind I liked, but thought it would give a variety: German chocolate (yuck), Carrot (double yuck), Red velvet (okay, not bad at all), and Chocolate truffle (mmmm..mmmmm!). The kids and I shopped for his presents on his birthday, lol. That tells you how badly disorganized things are around here.
Anyway, keep on writing about the haps in your life...I really enjoy reading and do check your blog daily (sometimes more than once a day. I need to get a life!). ;0)
Now, why didn't I think to consult with you first, Mike? You'd think I'd know this by now, but nothing like a reminder!
I was a driven woman, what can I say? Shannon really was my best friend, and I know that she would've done the same for me or walked along with me if we were doing it for someone else. The walk was only 3 something miles, but it's the thought that counts, right?!?
As for you, Kathy, where would that leave me if you got a life? I didn't know how much longer I could take it when you signed off to take care of Randy! Dad was pretty pissed off that he didn't hear from you; I think he actually called you names at one point...just kiddin'! He knows you've had a lot on your plate these days. Speaking of lots on plates, what a great idea on the cake! Yummy!!
Party on girlfriend... I'm glad you did this, Things like this walk are theraputic for those of us left behind as well as for a good cause. Proud of you.
As for the partying the night before.... I miss those kinds of nights- Guess I'm all grown up now... sigh.
Oh wait, you, me, Joe Johny in the basement, and sending out for more...! Ahhhhhhhh... I'm still able to party down... LOL
After the walk, it occured to me that I should have lit a candle for Tim, too...
As far as the partying, that was my first thought when I was reading this ~ that night at your place when you introduced me to Asti Spumante & we wouldn't share w/ Joe or Deland. I still laugh out loud every time I think of Joe doing his Hannibal Lecter impersination to Mary on the phone: "Marrrrice? Is that you, Marrrrice? Would you like some fava beans and spumante?" LOL! And you were over 40 & could still party hardy!
Wow! Sorry I missed that one, lol. But if it was while Laura was still in her 40's, it must have been ages ago. bwaaahaaaahaaa! JK (can't joke too much since she's so close to Randy's age)
I know, can you believe we have three siblings in their 40's now?!? That just ain't right! As far as missing out, well, we'll just have to make up for it sometime! (Just make sure I eat first this time, please!)
Nowadays I'm buzzed from one wine-cooler. That's how "mature" I am now, rofl! But seriously, I do want to go out karaokeing (yikes, can it be used as a verb?) with you sometime and I know I'll have to have a few drinks in me to sing in front of all those people, but it would be a blast to get up there and duet with you!
Sounds like loads of fun! Only problem I see is that when you go out to karaoke (yes, it can be a verb!), it seems like other people actually like to get up there, too, and you know how we are about sharing the mic...
Well, I suppose you'd know since you did give birth to him, eh? I always go by 10 years older than I am, and I thought he was 10 when I was born, so I figured he'd turn 40 before I turned 30...this can be our little secret, hmmm...?
Anna, funny you should mention Joe... I just found two birthday cards from you- one using the year 1961 and the other 1962 - hmmmm are you sure how old all your children are?
Right, Laura, like you or I'd be able to keep seven kids' birthdays straight?!?
Post a Comment