Search This Blog

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Summer evenings are the best. It's when the rest of the dreadful year gets turned upside down & life is as it should be. Summer days are for sleeping in & laziness; some water play if one feels the need, or maybe even a lemonade stand if you feel particularly motivated or need some extra money for the ice cream truck. But summer nights - when the air is still warm and thick, the smells jump out at you: blackberries and that slightly mossy smell that brings to mind the slipperiness of lake or creek-bottom algae. Summer nights in the valley can be absolutely stunning. I remember when I was a little girl and the sky would be splattered with pink clouds against a bright blue sky and the breeze was warm against my skin, I would pretend that I was in a maxi-pad commercial (with wings, of course - hence, the breeze). When I breathe in the summer evening, I reminisce about other scents from my childhood summers here: thistles and hay, the distinct scent of horses, not to mention goats! Time seems to slow down a little on summer nights, and if I stay up too late sitting outside staring at the stars or driving with the top down in the jeep, it's worth missing out on the sleep I so desperately need in order to face work during every other season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well stated...up until the Maxi-pad commercial, lmao! Leave it to you to throw that into such an eloquently written post.
Summer nights...nothing like 'em!

Anonymous said...

i am with kathy on this one. you almost made it through a very sweet and somewhat serious ode to summer and then, what have we? oh yes, amanda's post could not be complete without weird humor. don't forget summers eve commercials. the freshly douched women always seem happy and fresh on the beach. come to think of it the herpes-free girl in the canoe looks summery. you could always be her!! hehe.

Amanda said...

Ahhhh, yes, Summer's Eve - that would be the perfect title for this!

Anonymous said...

Sorry.......... haven't been reading the Blogs recently. Missed all of your worries about Tyson.......

Glad, though, that things are back on track.

Mom

Anonymous said...

All right, all right. We get it. Summer evenings are like douche commercials. Next post? We want more!!! (you've been neglecting us, your loyal readers and fans)