Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sooooo..... while I was in a funk from being sick, I've done some soul searching and I want some honest feedback. I'm asking for your opinions, so I want the truth. Just understand that I won't be making my decisions based entirely upon others' opinions. I just need to put things into perspective & I think some outside advice may help.

As you know, I've just entered my junior year in college. This is basically the last chance that I have to change my direction before I go any further without screwing up my time frame or finances.

My focus thus far has been on therapy of some sort, whether it be as a Sociology or Psychology major. If I continue in this direction, I'll most likely go for a Psychology major with a Sociology minor, then get my Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling. I have the option of continuing from there to either get my LCSW or PhD.

The other crazy idea I have is to switch gears and go for a degree in writing of some sort -- journalism (maybe even photojournalism?) or editing. I like all the different kinds of writing I've been exposed to & want to write someday, either fiction or even psychological articles, if I go that route. I enjoy reporting and technical writing, along with graphic design and advertising.

Okay, well those are my thoughts. Any feedback would be appreciated! And for those of you who are local, my RCC graduation will be Saturday, June 12 at 6 p.m. at the Grants Pass campus. For those of you who are out of town, it would be great to see you, but don't feel obligated to come. This is only my first graduation. :)

3 comments:

Angel22lal said...

Go for the writing as your minor- keep going for the physcology stuff... but use it in addition to your writing.... cuz that's where your heart is.

Kathy said...

Yep, I agree with keeping on with the psychology, but do keep the writing and editing going as well so that you have that creative outlet. It can also be a good combo in your therapy practice as well.

James Drive Studios said...

Stay the course. Writing can be a side thing but its hard to make a real career out of it. I think youve done great with the set goals and should remain focussed on what youve begun. I would say get your Social worker licence and trudge forward toward the Phd as you go along.