Search This Blog

Saturday, December 03, 2005

I figured I'd muster up the little energy I have these days for a quick post...

Tyson & I did go to the open mic Thursday night & met my friend, Susan, there. It was a school night, so we didn't stay really long, but did hang out long enough to catch some pretty good performances. We haven't figured out what we're going to do up there yet, but we do plan to go back.

Yesterday, I left work early & went home to sleep. I had to get up to pick Tyson up from school, and we dropped by the university so I could talk to some people about placement tests & just how the whole thing works. I was incredibly discouraged by the answers that I got regarding financial aid. I guess they go by your previous year's tax returns, and on paper my income looks pretty good (not to mention that Seth & I both worked & filed together last year). They don't take into account the fact that I would only be working part-time if I were to enroll as a full-time student. I'm not sure what to do from here...

I just couldn't bring myself to go be an extra for the movie today, as much as I have always wanted to do something like that. Instead, I got up with Tyson & made my weekend breakfast of eggs & fried potatoes, cleaned house & did some laundry, then came into town to put in some hours at the Women's Clinic. I'm going to have a candle party tonight at my apartment. It will be a very small, intimate group, consisting of (I think): Twyla & Krista & Susan, Misty & Lisa from work. It will be nice to have some company over for a change, and the candles always make your house smell great! When I socialize, I usually go somewhere, but I do like playing hostess. Tomorrow we'll go out to church, then go Christmas shopping. Anyway, there's the latest. I'll slowly,but surely, be posting more as I rejoin the land of the living...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if i didn't know any better i would say you sound pregnant. you have a lengthy food post followed by a tired post. those are the only two topics of my first trimester! ok, and my second and third trimester also! hehe

i should be there tonite. taylor is not feeling well but i think dad can hack it. he is tired from having both babies today with one being sick. he had to take all four to david's basketball tournament this morning. thank goodness they lost the first game.

i hope you get some rest one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Mandi,
Think about going to Community College first...... it has a couple of pluses....

It costs lots less!!

You can transfer up to a certain amount of credits to a 4 year college

The people who go there are almost all interested in 1 thing.... getting an education... not too much goofing off like you might find in the 4 year.

You can still get counseling to find out where you would fit best, office, medical, counseling, etc., before you sign up for classes

You can take as few or as many classes as you want or feel you can handle

Been there, done it,

Mom

Amanda said...

Well, rest assured, one thing I know is that I can't be pregnant! Thanks so much for coming to the candle party ~ I'm sorry you got sick!

I talked to a friend today & I think I'm going to apply for financial aid, but not count on it. I'll just have to depend on loans and scholarships if I want to do this...

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Mom here. The community college is as good of an education at a fraction of the cost. They will probably have more counselors available to you to help figure out sholarships, loans and grants that may be available to you because of having less students. They were really good about helping us find that first grant that so many other people didn't know about (the part-time grant that we used for the summer semester). Once you've got 12 credits under your belt (at least that's what it is here), you will probably be asked to join the community college honor society if you have over a 3.5 average (which I have no doubt you'd have), which would also help you get more scholarships. Definitely don't count scholarships out though...you would qualify for many more than you'd think. Check into it online...there are tons of scholarship resources (can't get to my list of sites to check out 'cuz they're on my other computer, but maybe something like www.scholarships.com? etc. Or do a google search). Anyway, I'm sure that they have a grant that you'd qualify for (hey, right after my divorce I went to college and got Pell grants...those are easy to get and do help!).
Another thing you could do with the community college is what Jenn's doing. Getting her AA (or AS, etc...not sure which she wants yet) from the community college, then you can transfer the degree to any other college.
I hope you can figure it all out. I'm excited for you! (Oooh, I've got it! Move out here and go to college with Jennifer!!)