Since I know that the whole fam damily is chomping at the bit regarding school, I thought I'd go ahead & fill y'all in on how things are going so far:
I picked Allen up yesterday morning for our first day. We were almost late, due to a quick stop at Dutch Bros. & trying to figure out the whole parking situation, but we both managed to get to our classes on time. My first class was Math 60 - Intro to Algebra. Some of you may know this about me already, but I have a huge mental block where math is concerned, which I consider a wee bit ironic, since I've been employed as a bookkeeper for almost six years. Well, the professor seems to be very approachable. She's probably about my age & has a genuine enthusiasm for math that I honestly don't understand, but do appreciate. I get the feeling that, if I stay on top of things & ask questions along the way, she'll do what she can to make sure I succeed in her class. I was able to rent the necessary graphing calculator for $15 from the RCC library for the term, rather than forking over $100+/- for something I'll probably only use in this course.
After math, I had Writing. We all know how much I'll love the course, itself, but the prof actually seems like a really unique, spunky, cooky lady - my kind o' people!
Tuesday was my first Yoga class & we spent most of the hour discussing Yoga & what we hope to accomplish "through our practice", but we did get to do about 15 minutes or so of some light excercises, which loosened up my shoulder at least temporarily. Dr. Ewing's daughter agreed to take the class with me, since we both are going to RCC & she's taking different courses in everything else. There's another girl, Sadie, that's in our Yoga class that I knew from back in the day. My big brother, Joe, used to live with her & her husband & two boys. She's divorced now & has another little boy. I always thought she was pretty nice & laid back, so it was kinda cool to run into her again.
On Thursday, I had my first experience with Psych 202. This is my only male professor, but I can tell I'm going to really like him. He's incredibly anal & neurotic & can laugh about it (which are all some really great qualities of the best types of people, if you ask me!), but it's clear how passionate he is about psychology & about teaching. I also thought it was nice that I'll be able to use the same book from my Psych 201 class, which was a 9th edition, instead of the 11th edition that they require, so I already had my doubts about using it through 201. What this guy did is, he designed his curriculum around the 9th, 10th, & 11th Editions, making sure to only include material that was in all three, in order to save the students some money.
So, all in all, it was a great first week at school. I've already made a couple of "friends" in all of my classes & Allen & I bump into each other on campus between classes all the time, as well as ride together, so that's been a lot of fun. He's also made new friends & is on his way to being his old, goofball self. (I've missed that guy a lot!)
Anyway, I actually started this post on the 1st & it's now the 7th, so I'm just planning to post this for now & will try to follow it up with a more current one with all the recent goings-on.
2 comments:
You lucky dog you! ('cept for the math which I totally understand!) I bet it feels great to be learning again... I Love learning now that I'm out of 'mandatory' School. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!
Hey! I keep telling you to check with me about stuff for school before buying anything. Jenn has a couple of graphing calculators (she started with a lower one, then had to go up to a higher one for another class, then another class didn't allow the higher one, etc). Oh well, at least you got a great deal on it! But be sure to check before buying stuff!!
You professors all sound incredible. It helps that you have such a good attitude though, and I'm sure they pick up on that and appreciate it.
Post a Comment