Search This Blog

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Well, I figured out a solution to my need for spontanaety and change: I got a Jeep Wrangler! I've wanted one ever since I was a kid; then later my dream car was between that & a VW bug convertible. (At one point, I desperately wanted a 'Vette convertible that would be either hot pink, turquoise or a purple body, with a checkered top - thank goodness that was just a phase! Can't tell I was a child of the 80's, can you?)

Anyway, after church today, Tyson & I stopped by a couple of lots & test drove a Jeep & a Dodge Durango. Between the two, we were actually moving in the direction of the Durango, because the Jeep we drove was all jacked up & really tossed us around. I had my reservations about the Durango, though, because of the high miles. The next lot that we pulled into, I just wanted to compare prices on the Durangos, and we know a guy who works there (from Ty's football team), but when I pulled in, I immediately saw a pristine white Jeep Wrangler with a tan soft top. I was thinking that this was a beaut, but would be out of my price range, since I really didn't want to increase my payments beyond what I was already paying on the Honda. It didn't have a list price on it yet, because they had just gotten it in. Well, we talked to Dave & took this baby out for a spin, and I fell in LOVE! First of all, it's a 5-speed, which is a must when you're driving around something like this - I mean, you gotta feel all manly! It ran much smoother than the first one, & the engine idles really nice & smooth, plus, both the interior & exterior are in incredible shape! It's a '98 with only 53 K miles on it. Of course, it has 2 & 4-wheel drive (which I've never used before, but I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later)! I managed to get it for no $$ down, except for what I'll get back from Honda on my warrantee, and my payments will be the same. (They would've been about $20 lower, but I wanted to buy the 3 year warrantee, since it is a little older.) It also came with a really nice Clarion CD player with a removable face plate & a car alarm, which is something I didn't have on my Honda. All of the other Jeeps that I've looked at in the past week have only come with tape decks & no CD player. I just can't wait to be able to take the top off & cruise around! Down the road, I'd like to pick up a little trailer so I can haul stuff if necessary, like the quad that I hope to eventually get, or a little tent trailer/camper. One thing at a time... The only negative (besides the excellent warrantee, gas mileage & resale value of the Honda) is that I had a lot more cab room & trunk space with the car, but the back seat of the Jeep folds down & I can fit Tyson's bass in the back, even though the neck of it extends to between our seats.

This was just what I needed to shake things up & feel new again! Next Saturday, the church is having a snow day up in Greensprings at the Box R Ranch, so that'll be a fun little trip. After playing in the snow, I'm going to host yet another candle party. I know, call me crazy, but I'll tell you what: it's the best way to get great candles & holders etc. for free & for incredible savings! Partylite has a bunch of new stuff, including new scents that just came out. I've been thinking about becoming a consultant...there's no buy-in, and if I could do that & my transcription, I really think I could make around what I do now, with working 8-5 + transcription at night. I'll probably continue to just think about this for now, though, because dangit, I really am responsible, and I know that if I hang in there & stay on track that things will continue to get better.

I'm getting excited about just waking up & driving my Jeep to work tomorrow! I'm such a dork! I'll take some pics soon & post them here so y'all can eat your hearts out!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

how sweet! i can't wait to see it. i was just reading up on you since i have not been on in a while. about the tyson visitation thing- keep good, accurate notes on these things. if ever seth does decide he wants court appointed visitation you can bring dates showing his lack of responsibility. judges use that in their final decision but it can not be wishy washy.
talk to you soon!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the tip, Mike...did I sense some sort of veiled challenge in the off-road comment, my friend?

Angel22lal said...

I have always wanted a jeep too! Odd, that. Congrads!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mike!! You don't know my daughter very well if you think she's going to do something safe, like stay on the road!!! She was raised to be able to take on the world, if need be.... And went camping on a regular basis. Even I took my Subaru up over the cliffs on a ranch we lived on..... & she younger & more confident than I ever was.

Amanda said...

LOL, Mom! I was just lamenting to the salesman that it's been a while since I've driven a stick & he made the comment that it sure didn't seem like it, so I told him that my mom insisted that I learn to drive a manual so that I could drive anything - how about all those times that I took the cars that either didn't run or had no gas & coasted them down the steep oceanside cliffs 3 miles down to Sarah & Maya's house? Yikes! I think I might have had something to do with some of your gray hairs!

Anonymous said...

WOOOHOOO! I know I already told you congrats, but just had to share in the excitement. Adam is still in awe that you have a Jeep and furthermore that it's a convertable! When he talked to Tyson he just couldn't get over that Tyson wasn't as excited about it as he was, lol. Two words: ROAD TRIP! ;0)

Amanda said...

Well, bless Adam's little heart; I'm a little bewildered by Tyson's lack of enthusiasm, myself, but as I keep reminding him, that's ok, 'cause it's all about me!!!

Two words in response to yours: "Hell, yeah!!"

Anonymous said...

Soooo..... You FINALLY figured out why my hair is GRAY! Are you ready for YOUR turn? What goes up must come down... in other words, you'll get your paybacks.... he, he, he. ;-> (evil grin)

Amanda said...

You know, you always did try to give me the "mother curse", but I must have been a wonderful child, 'cause I certainly can't complain about mine (although you'll be pleased to know that the gray hairs are be becoming quite abundant these days)!

Anonymous said...

The "secret???" He's not a 'teen yet........... Just wait! He, he, he....

Anonymous said...

Hey! Now I was the perfect child, so why am I getting so much gray hair as payback?!? Not fair!!

Amanda said...

You always were the perfect one! "kathy, Kathy, Kathy!" (You know, like Marsha...)

If I didn't know better, I'd think Mom was willing me to have a rotten child...I know he's not a teen yet, but another thing he's not is a girl, so neener, neener, neener!

Anonymous said...

roflmao Amanda! Now c'mon, I wasn't THAT obnoxious! Yeah, I think Mom wants our kids to be as troublesome as possible to get back at us. Luckily we're all smart enough not to have 7 of them running around! Bwaahaaahaaa! We get the last laugh!!!

Amanda said...

Yup - we get the last laugh, all right! Just like old times! Remember when Mom would say, "Enough is enough!" when she got frustrated at us, so we'd make it worse by singing the song? Snicker, snicker... (Figured Mom has the he he he thing & you have the wonderful bwaahaha, so I'll just snicker...)

Anonymous said...

LMAO! I forgot about that! How obnoxious were we?! I would get so mad if my kids did that to me when I'm already at the end of my rope. It's a miracle we're all still alive!

Amanda said...

Well, I'm sure if you asked Mom, she'd say VERY obnoxious...also keep in mind that there were seven of us! And we wondered what happened to Mom's sanity...

Amanda said...

Well, I'm sure if you asked Mom, she'd say VERY obnoxious...also keep in mind that there were seven of us! And we wondered what happened to Mom's sanity...