Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Well, between the guilt from my dad and being shown up by my sister, Kathy, I have determined it's time to post on my blog again! These things really are great. There are a lot of things I had forgotten about until I went back through some of my blogging history and was reminded.

Right now I'm in finals week, two terms away from getting my BS in Psychology. I am taking my first capstone class in which I prepare a portfolio of my future career and educational goals and how I will accomplish them. Part of the capstone process is working with a local agency to gain 100 hours of experience in the field. I met with a clinical psychologist and three-time published author today who specializes in sexuality and divinity. She agreed to supervise me and I will be working in her office for two hours a week as well as being her teaching assistant next term (she is also a prof at SOU) for her Human Sexuality class (which I took earlier this summer and got 102% in). I'll get a chance to review her chart notes and learn how to open and close cases, along with the day-to-day operations of running a private therapy practice. I am so excited at the prospect of getting some hands-on experience and I feel closer than ever to my goal.

I'm in the process of deciding whether to graduate in two terms with a psych major and sociology and journalism minor or changing my sociology minor to a major. I've done extensive research and am just waiting to hear back from my sociology advisor before I decide for sure. I have, however, made the decision to stay in the area and get my master's in social work (MSW) degree here. I will be applying for the Portland State University distance learning program held on the SOU campus in January, and classes begin in fall term of 2012.

There's a whole lot more to talk about (after all, it's been over a year since I posted!), but I really need to get back to working on my papers which are due in a few short days. I'll try to get back to blogging more often from here on out!

No comments: