Well, life has been crazy as usual, but I'm sure my readers (aka family) expect no less from this determined & sometimes too spontaneous young(ish) woman.
I finished my last term at RCC (18 credits: 2 B's & 3 A's) & now officially have my Associate's degree. My final GPA after just under two years at RCC is a 3.6. I was accepted at SOU & start classes for my Bachelor's on Monday, March 29, the day after my 34th birthday. I'm taking two sociology classes, a journalism class, a meditation class, and cardio, tennis, and swimming (in an effort to get ready for summer). There will be a year to a year & a half between the time I get my Bachelor's & when I can enter the Master's program for Sociology, so I'm considering using the time to get a second degree in journalism, but we'll see. I might also use the time to get my practicum done for my Soc. Master's degree. I meet with my SOU advisor in April to discuss my possibilities further.
I moved in to a 4-bedroom house in Ashland with a friend who has two boys, ages 6 & 9, on March 1st. It was a little hectic, being finals week at RCC and all, but we did it! However, I don't think this is going to work out & I've begun to look for another place for me & Tyson already. Once again, my optimism got the best of me & I overestimated the good in another person. I'm pretty determined to let this be the last time that ever happens!
I splurged & gave myself a birthday cut & color today...nothing drastic, just trimmed up the dead ends & added some color to cover the grays & lighten it up for summer, but I like it.
Tyson spent Spring Break going to a basketball camp & continues to push himself to be the best little basketball player he can be, which I have to say is pretty impressive. He has a steady girlfriend who lives in Medford & is still doing well in school. He is becoming a teenager & has begun to distance himself from me, which breaks my heart a little, even though I knew it was coming. It's hard, though, with him being my only child & knowing he's leaving in four short years. I can only hope that he knows I tried my best to do right by him. It doesn't help that I'm having problems with my roommate & it looks like we're moving again already -- not exactly the stable home life I would want to provide for my child...
Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what's going on with me these days. Hope everything's going well for all of you.
3 comments:
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't working out. As worried as I was about it, I really hoped it would end up being a positive option! Hang in there sis! You're doing a fantastic job, regardless of set-backs. I'm sure that Tyson sees that too, even if he has some transitioning to deal with. He's a great, resilient, and well-adjusted kiddo thanks to you, so don't sell yourself short!
Congrats on your degree and GPA! You're nothing short of amazing to accomplish all that you are while keeping so many balls in the air. WTG!!! So, why is there a year-year 1/2 between Bachelor's and entering Masters?? Sounds like a great opportunity to do the things you mentioned, but just curious why the lapse.
You know, more and more I find myself daydreaming about the day I'll be able to point Tyson out in the big leagues and say "I'm actually related to Tyson Morris!" (I already do, but everyone's going to know who he is when I do it in the future due to his ball-playing). Give him a high-5 for me and let him know that I'm so incredibly proud of him! I also want to play a little 1-on-1 when I see him next (need the workout and played bball in high school, so it'll be a fun challenge, though I know he'll wipe the floor with me).
Your birthday cut & color sounds fab-o. Glad you did that for yourself! Love you!
I'm excited for the new changes (including the hair! lol) I heard from Mary that things weren't turning out so great with the new room mate, and I have to say darlin', DON'T let others take away your belief in the basic good in people. I struggle with this daily- and I refuse to quit believing in the basic goodness of MOST people. It's a constant struggle as so many people will disappoint me, and there are many who will point and say "I told you so." Still... I hold out hope, because that's who I am. I think you're the same. It's hard not to close ones self off when you become disallusioned and disheartened. But, I expect you to listen to your heart (and your head from time to time lol!). Sounds like that place might have been perfect to have Anna with you... too bad he won't go instead... oh well. Hang in there and remember you're not alone. Love you
Laura, thanks. I sometimes need to be reminded that my eternal optimism is a big part of what makes me me. It's not always easy, though... Things have settled down & I'm stil looking for a place (actually looking into the possibility of buying) but not stressing on trying to do it immediately.
To answer your question, Kathy, the time between getting my bachelor's and starting grad school is due to the fact that they only do the master's distance learning program through Portland State every three years. The next "cohort," as they call it, is in 2013.
Post a Comment